Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Social Life? I Think I Remember ...



As the years flow along--sometimes placidly, sometimes not--my social life (such as it was) has diminished. Student years, career(s)--all featured opportunities for me to, in one sense or another, "party on."

My mom and dad used to have good friends--and always seemed to be doing things. Until they no longer did. By the time they were near the end of their lives (1999, Dad; 2018, Mom), their "social lives" comprised conversations with aides in nursing homes and visits from their sons and their families.

I'm not quite there yet--getting closer with every breath, of course (as are all of the rest of you--so don't go all arrogant on me!).

But here's a strange thing I've found: I like being with Joyce, like being by myself. For weeks on end. Months, even. (Not counting coffee-shop encounters, of course!)

Yet every now and then ... stuff happens. My calendar pages, normally fairly empty (except for visits to doctors), somewhat fill up.

Let's take this week:

  • Thursday evening I drove over to the Aurora Inn for the induction of a former teaching colleague, Ted Linden, into the Honored Educator Hall of Fame, an award recently created by the Aurora Alumni Association. A dinner. A program. Speeches. Some tears. (You know.) I got to see and sit with some dear former colleagues--got to see and talk with some wonderful former students--got to have a free meal (eschewed dessert: I have standards!).
  • Friday evening, Joyce and I had dinner with some good friends here in Hudson--over at the Thai Gourmet in Stow (a place we really enjoy). Lots of laughter and stories and affection.
  • In about an hour I will head over to Aurora to a coffee shop to meet with some former students who are in town for Aurora High's homecoming weekend. Some of them I have not seen in many, many years. I'm looking forward to it.
And--I have to say--this week has wiped me out. My Social Battery is about out of juice, and I know (from Sad Experience) that if I do much more, I will regret it. I'm on some energy-sapping meds, and they don't mess around. And I've learned (the Hard Way) that I should not mess around--too much.

The Good News: I've had a very good time. More Good News: Nothing "on" next week except for a doctor's visit.

Back to normal.

But with some fond memories to hold me over till next time when the Calendar Gods decide it's time to get me out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment