Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Mont Blanc--the pen, not the mountain

my pen!
I have seen the actual Mont Blanc. In the spring of 1999 I was traveling around Europe (on a very sad budget), visiting sites that had been important to Mary Shelley (1797-1851), sites that, in some cases, she'd used for Frankenstein (1818).

I took a train up into the French Alps, heading to Chamonix, France, to see the Mer de Glace (sea of ice), the (once-) magnificent glacier which she had used for a key scene in Frankenstein, but the clouds were heavy that day (grrrr), and the little tourist train up to the glacier itself was not even running. So back to Geneva I went, but as we were rolling along, the clouds cleared, the sun flared, and I saw the glistening glory of Mount Blanc.

But I'm not talking about the mountain then--but about a fountain pen (get the rhyme!).

BTW: This morning, thinking about this post, I wondered why it's called a "fountain" pen. I looked it up. DUH: Because it contains within it a kind of mini-fountain (of ink).

Some thirty years ago I attended a family reunion out in Oregon (where my dad was born--where scores of Dyers still live). On the way home, waiting for my flight in the Portland airport, I was using a mechanical pencil to take notes on a book I was reading. I ran out of lead.

But I remembered I'd seen a stationery shop in the airport, so off I went to get my $1.29 supply of lead.

And while I was in line, near the register, I saw a display of Mont Blanc fountain pens. The credit card nearly flew out of my back pocket like a ravenous bird and presented itself to the cashier, who rang up the sale: $1.29 for lead, $275 for the pen. (Impulse shopping at its acme.)

I've been using it ever since. But not for everything. Principally, I use it for two things: (1) handwritten notes and cards which I mail to folks, (2) notes on the book I'm reviewing that week for Kirkus. And that's all. The rest of the time it remains clipped to my datebook (yes, I still use one of those instead of the calendar on my iPhone). But when we're traveling somewhere, I leave it behind. Don't want to tempt Fate. So, for example, for those many summers Joyce and I spent a week in Stratford, Ontario (for the theater festival), I always left it behind, took my notes with a regular old ballpoint.

I lost the pen twice (I thought): (1) I'd stopped in the local telephone office (pre-cell days), left it there by accident--returned a couple of hours later--found it where I'd left it; (2) I left it once at Caribou Coffee here in Hudson about a dozen years ago--returned a couple of hours later--found it where I'd left it. Since then, I've been more ... careful.

I've had to ship it off a couple of times for modest repairs, but, for the most part, it has served me well--more than well. I just like the feel of it--the look. And it reminds me of, oh, nearly 70 years ago when, at Adams Elementary School in Enid, Okla., we had a penmanship period every day (with workbooks published by the Zaner-Bloser Co.--still in business, I see on the web), and we learned how to write with a pen we had to dip in little bottles of Shaeffer's Skrip ink that we were required to buy. (Would you say that times have changed?)


Anyway, I love that pen, and I may have to leave instructions in my will to have it buried with me. You never know, lying underground, when you just might get the best idea you've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment