Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Friday, October 6, 2017

With the Noise Boys



I'm kind of used to noise--after all, for about thirty years I taught in a middle school, so my eardrums became tolerant of a lot. In fact, reading in a loud coffee shop nowadays is no problem for me: Seems as if I'm back in the classroom! Or on lunch duty.

I confess that I have invested, this past year, in some earplugs so that I can take afternoon naps (rarely!) without being jolted awake by tree and lawn and snowplow services, all of which seem to wait for their arrival in our neighborhood until they get the news that I'm drifting off. Oh, and those beeping back-up sounds from trucks! Love 'em!

But today is ... special. In our basement right now are some jackhammers throbbing away. We're having our basement waterproofed (we don't get flooded, but I do sometimes have a walking-on-water experience when I'm down there--a journey I avoid at all costs; I like to joke, "We have a treaty with the spiders: They stay down there; we stay up here").

But the noise today is ... attention-getting, even by middle-school standards. And Joyce and I have been competing to see who can run the more necessary errands out of the house. (I'm losing the competition--and badly so.)

Anyway, this project needed doing (and why not amass some more debt, you know?)--especially when it comes time to sell the house, a transaction I hope is years away--or never, preferably.

Meanwhile, today (and Monday--when they finish, so we believe, so we have been promised) we will endure the noise, enjoy the throbbing, run pointless, superfluous errands, and have one consoling thought: The spiders must be really annoyed!


No comments:

Post a Comment