Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

My Regime of Regimen



Okay, throughout my (sentient) life I've used these two words--regime and regimen--in separate situations.
  • I've read about the regime of Elizabeth I.
  • I follow a workout regimen.
But I've noticed in my reading that other people use regime in the workout sentence I just wrote.

So ... as Bugs Bunny once asked--as Kenan Thompson sometimes sings on SNL--What up with that?" (Link to an SNL video.)


All right, see below what Merriam-Webster says about each word. Seems they are synonyms, at least in that meaning of a systematic plan.

I did a little further checking in the OED. And that sturdy source has this wee note of explanation: Regimen rather than regime is now the usual word in the United States and in Med.; in British English regime is more usual. The OED is referring to the definition of routine or  regulation of aspects of life.

So ... it seems I am, indeed, an American!

I just entered "regimen or regime?" in Google and discovered that most grammar-gurus agree that they are synonyms. So there you go ...

We can now answer Kenan Thompson's "What's up ...?" with a good answer!
  • regime
  • a :  regimen 1
    b :  a regular pattern of occurrence or action (as of seasonal rainfall)
    2
    a :  a method of ruling or management :  a manner of administration
    b :  a form of government or administration
    <totalitarian regime>
    specifically :  a governmental or social system
    <Nazi regime>
    c :  the period during which a regime prevails
    3
    :  the condition of a river with respect to the rate of its flow as measured by the volume of water passing different cross sections in a given time
    4
    :  a fruiting cluster of the African oil palm
  • regimen
    a :  a systematic plan (as of diet, therapeutic and sanitary measures, and medication) designed to improve and maintain the health of a patient or to control a particular ailment
    b :  a regulation or treatment intended to benefit by gradual operation
    2
    :  governing, government, rule, administration
    3
    :  government 5a
    4
    :  the characteristic behavior or orderly procedure of a natural phenomenon or process (as of a river or a glacier)

No comments:

Post a Comment