Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

2000


No, this post is not about Y2K ... remember that? The panic near New Year's Day 2000 when people thought all computers in the world were going to crash because the millennium was changing, and computers were equipped to handle only smaller date changes?

Not much happened. Certainly not at our house. Just checked my journal; I mentioned nothing about it on January 1. So I just checked Dec. 31 and found this: Nothing. Well ... we went up to the Cedar-Lee Theater to see the film Cider House Rules, which we liked.

I do recall shutting our computers down before midnight. But we had no (visible) effects at all from Y2K here at our house.

But, no, this is not a post about Y2K. Instead, today I'm marking--with this entry--the 2000th blog post I've done on DawnReader. I can't say I really thought I'd ever have 2000 things to say, but apparently I do.

As is my wont, I will right now check how many hits I've had during the life of this blog. [PAUSE WHILE I CHECK]

395,612 = an average of 197.8 hits/day. (I just wish that .8 guy would just really commit, you know?). Also, it's more impressive to say that I've had nearly 400,000 hits--hey, almost half a million hits!--than to add the little note that my first post here, "I Am Born" (stolen from C. Dickens' title for his opening chapter of David Copperfield) was on January 6, 2012. (Link to that initial post.) More than five and a half years ago ...

I still post something pretty much every day--but I'm not as ... compulsive ... about that as I used to be. If something else comes up--if I had a busy day (not common at my age!)--I just don't worry about it.

The last few years, several times a week, I've been serializing books I'm working on. I most recently finished a very long and very ugly draft of Frankenstein Sundae, a memoir about my ten-year pursuit of Mary Shelley and Frankenstein. I am currently revising that (slowly, slowly) and have not begun anything new ... yet.

In the interim, I've been writing about things I've read, places I've gone, odd little things I've noticed, memories, politics (rarely--blood pressure, you know?), and just about whatever else pops into my all-too-welcoming mind. (Perhaps I need a Wall to keep some ideas out? ... Nah.)

Anyway, two thousand damned posts. Something. I'm kind of proud of it. So maybe I'll just grind out 2000 more ...?

No comments:

Post a Comment