Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Spoon River Middle School: 32

Frank Falmouth 

Free Writing (Required Poem)

Down at the lake I saw a duck:
I wondered if it liked to
            muck around in the pond.
And at the store Mom bought a ham,
But I don’t really give a …
            Ma’am, I don’t like ham.
A miner works down in a pit—
I wonder where he takes a
            bit of a break?
A mason works with stones and bricks.
Our locker room is full of
            sticks for playing lacrosse.
My cousin wants to be a doc.
A bird that’s male is called a cock.  (That’s not dirty, Mr. Stratford.  You can look it up.)
For Halloween she was a witch.
The other days she’s just a
            rich girl with lots of money for costumes.
My dad said I must mow the grass.
A donkey’s also called an ass.  (Not dirty, either.)
And Mr. Stratford is the best:
He’ll see that this is all in jest.

(Not kidding.  You are the best, Mr. Stratford, and I know I won’t get in trouble for this because that’s not how you roll.  Is it?  I did not write any bad words, and you can’t say I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment