Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Today's Clever Chipmunk

an Internet image--not the fellow I saw today
Walking over to the coffee shop this morning (a little after 6:30), I noticed, right next door (the funeral home!), a bit of movement over by the curb. I glanced over, saw the head of a chipmunk peering over the edge. He must have been in a kind of crouch, his forepaws holding onto the top of the curb. And he was most definitely checking me out. Is this guy a threat?

I stopped.

His head sank below the top of the curb. (Whac-A-Mole!)

I waited.

His head peeked over again.

I thought: This would be a great pic!

I pulled my cellphone out, touched the camera icon. Looked back ...

The head was gone.

I waited--camera aimed at the curb.

Waited.

Waited.

Waited.

No chipmunk.

I gave up, put my cell away, continued my walk. As I was crossing the street a little farther on, I saw where he had been: in a small drainpipe from the downspout of the funeral home.

I thought of going over to take a closer look, then decided I'd probably alarmed the critter enough for one day.

I'll keep my eyes open, though--see if I can catch him another day. Because, you see, I do want that pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment