Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Duh



You'd think I'd know better by now. I mean, I am seventy years old. And I have made this mistake over and over again over the decades. But--duh!--I did it again last night.

Here's what happened ...  In the middle of the night I woke up with an idea for a blog post--a great one. It had to do with my mom--and with teaching. About something I'd learned from her. It was such a great idea I just knew I wouldn't forget it--wouldn't need to turn the light on, grab my pencil and little paper pad, which are right beside the bed. No, this one was so good that I'd never forget it. No way.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z ...

I forgot it.

When I woke up this morning, there remained only a barely visible wisp of that huge cumulonimbus cloud of an idea I'd had in the night. I promptly upbraided myself in the most offensive terms. Featured prominently in that upbraiding was this: The paper and pencil are right there are on the bedside table! What is your problem?

I've done this before--thus, the paper and pencil beside the bed. And in recent years I have (on occasion) turned on the light, written down the idea, felt grateful in the morning--mostly. Sometimes the idea-in-the-middle-of-the-night is unworthy of the graphite and tree pulp used to record it.

But on any number of other occasions, I've also failed to write the sucker down. And not once have I remembered it later in the day.

Which is why I'm not holding out any hope right now. Part of me is thinking: Just don't try to remember it ... it will come to you ... naturally ... it's winging around in your mind right now ... just give it a chance to land somewhere ... don't startle it ... trying to remember startles thoughts ...

And another part of my brain is thinking: You're a moron ... you did it again!

Anyway, this will be the last time I'll make that mistake. You can bet on that!

Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment