Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Friday, September 5, 2014

Annoyed Crow in Kent



Last night we drove over to the Starbucks in the Stow-Kent Plaza (drive-thru), and on our way out, looping around the building to the main driveway, we encountered ... a crow. Right smack in the middle of the driveway.

He/She (let's say It so I don't have to get into gender issues in a crow-post) was very interested in the middle of the driveway. I couldn't see what it was, but--wild guess?--something to eat. Something no longer living, probably.

As we slowly approached the crow, I recited a few lines from "The Raven" (yes, I know they're not the same critter ... but still), and it (!) hopped backwards (in a sideways fashion, if you can picture that, fluttering up few feet, landing a little bit away from us, but only a few feet and still right in front of us). I drove a few feet more. It hopped/flapped backwards (in a sideways fashion ...); I drove a few feet more. It hopped/flapped ...

Are you getting the picture? The crow was not interested in surrendering its territory (or, rather, its snack) to a big black Prius (did we look to it like a really big crow? One that gets awesome mileage--but seems a bit, you know, wussy?). This little Prius-crow choreography continued until we were entirely around the building and were turning onto the main drive. I'm estimating a half-dozen or even ten reluctant, short retreats.

At which point the crow returned to whatever-it-was. And we drove home.

And I've been thinking about that bird ...  It evinced no sign whatsoever of fear--just a grudging acceptance that PriusCrow was quite a bit bigger--though, as I said, wimpier. Perhaps not really a crow after all. Not one worthy of the species, anyhow.

Maybe the crow has been thinking about us,too--about what this world is coming to when a PriusCrow doesn't stop for a snack that's right in front of it. That gently nudges forward--as if it's, you know, afraid. Next time, maybe, I'll stand my ground a little more firmly, he thinks. Will not sound "Retreat." Will show PriusCrow that it is a wuss--and make it back out of the parking lot. While I dine in creature comfort.

Caw! Caw!

No comments:

Post a Comment