Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Corona Daze

 


I've not done much since the commencement of Corona Daze.

In part--it's due to my increasing inability to do much, but in the greater part, it's because of a fell mixture of fear and circumspection.

I don't go out much at all; the last six months or so I've had two destinations: the barbershop, a doctor's office. Early in Corona Daze I would ride along with Joyce (I no longer drive) to the grocery store, sit in the car, and wait for someone to wheel our order outside and put it in the trunk.

But soon even that was getting beyond me, and when we got home, I was too dizzy to help Joyce unload, so I figured I would be more useful if I lay down until she arrived with our goodies and then help her. So that's what I've been doing.

Other than that, I'm enmired in routine. And here it is, Monday-Friday:

  • Up at little before 7--then downstairs to unload the dishwasher
  • Back upstairs to shower and dress--Joyce supervises my dressing because by the time I'm ready for that, I am very dizzy and need some help.
  • Down to my study to begin the day--fussing with Quicken, etc
  • Into the kitchen, where I make some Keurig coffee and microwave a scone we've baked.
    • I say "we" because I need Joyce's help now with setting things up, with cleaning up. I just can no longer do it by myself.
  • When all is done--out to the family room (which I've begun to call "Venue One"), where I read the Times on my iPad, send our family a little bit of doggerel based on the word-of-the-day on the little calendars I gave them for Christmas, a doggerel I wrote earlier when I was in my study. I read fifty pages of the book I'm working on and fuss with Facebook, email, etc.
  • About 9:30, I'm done, and I head into my study to fuss some more, and it's only lately that I've begun to include doing a blog post with that "fussing."
  • Then upstairs to talk some with Joyce before diving into bed for a nap.
  • Up a little before lunchtime. Downstairs I begin to do a little prep for that--and rest on the couch.
  • After lunch with Joyce--out I go to Venue Two, our living room, where I read (online) the Beacon and the Plain Dealer, I read 50 more pages of "my" book, work on a sestina to send to Joyce, and, in recent weeks, I completed my 3rd volume of The Papers of Victoria Frankenstein, which I've begun serializing on this site.
  • Most days I then head out to the pantry, where our Airdyne stationary bike lives. I ride a furious 10 minutes (about all I can do), burning about 110 calories. (I used to ride it for forty minutes--or an hour out at the health club before heading off to do more exercising on their equipment.)
  • Then upstairs for Nap #2.
  • Down to fuss a little with my computer, then shut it down for the night.
  • Into family room couch to rest some more before helping Joyce prepare supper.
  • Head upstairs a little after 5:30--change into pj's, read a bit from each of the seven books I currently having going up there.
  • Joyce joins me--and for about an hour we stream  bits of "our" shows.
  • Lights out about 8.
That's pretty much my week--except for scone-baking once/week, feeding sourdough starter on Saturday, mixing and baking bread on Sunday.

Sound excitin'?

In ways it is.

In other ways, of course, it's depressing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment