Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Family Chores: Share and Share (Not So Much) Alike


Over our decades of marriage, Joyce and I have sort of divided up our household tasks and chores. We didn't prepare any list or anything (no visits to a lawyer's office to have something notarized), but things have just kind of ... evolved.

I've never really listed things before, so this may be a profound mistake. But here we go ...

  • I load/unload the dishwasher.
  • Joyce does the laundry--and puts the clean clothing away.
  • I prepare our income-tax information and meet with our accountant (I know: This occurs only once/year, but it's still odious and time-consuming, right?).
  • Joyce circulates around, emptying the waste baskets, carrying the refuse out to the re-cycle or trash bins.
  • I do most of the cooking. (She prepares the weird veggies she likes + her salads.)
  • I do the snow-shoveling (well, I used to ... my "balance issues" have made this more difficult, so Joyce does some of it).
  • Joyce deals with the service and repair people who come to the house. This can be a major enterprise ...
    • We've just had a our wooden-slat fence in the backyard replaced; took a long time (months); Joyce handled all of it--dealing with the builder, etc.
    • I wrote the check.
  • Joyce and I change the bedding together.
  • Joyce and I do the grocery shopping together.
  • Joyce wraps all our gifts--birthdays, Christmas, etc.
  • I do all the baking.
  • Joyce gets the cars washed now and then.
  • I pay all the household bills (with her financial contributions, of course).
  • Joyce takes care of all the plants outside. (We have a lawn service for the mowing, etc.)
  • I make sure to wind all three of our mechanical clocks.
I'm starting to run out of things that I do, so I think I'll stop right here. This way it looks, you know, more balanced.

When, in fact, it's not. For she, of course, is the heartbeat of the house. And how do you match that?

You don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment