Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Busy Day, Busy, Busy Day ...




When I was a kid in the mid-1950s, there was a Jell-O TV commercial that seemed to run all the time. Animated--primitively so, as the pic above confirms. A housewife (in 50s style) scurrying around the house while the soundtrack chants "Busy day--busy day--busy, busy, busy day." The message: Even if you're busy, you still have time to make some Jell-O ... or was it the Jell-O pudding?

I just found a video of the commercial and discovered a couple of things: I had the lyric a little bit wrong (hey, it was 1956!), and the commercial was for the instant pudding.

Link to the video.

Okay, I was thinking of this earlier today because I found myself having a Busy-Day kind of morning. Oh, nothing like a morning working in a coal mine--or teaching 8th graders. But still.

  • Up about 5:30--unloaded the dishwasher and straightened up downstairs.
  • Helped Joyce change our bedding (a Saturday task). 
  • Cleaned up.
  • Updated my journal and my Quicken account on my laptop.
  • Walked over to Open Door Coffee Co.--with snow up to my armpits. (Well, sort of.)
  • Read the New York Times on my Kindle--while eating a homemade scone (see below).
  • Caught up on email and Facebook.
  • Texted my daily doggerel to my family (one every-morning job)--based on the word today on our word-a-day tear-off calendar (mercurial).
    • MERCURIAL = CHARACTERIZED BY RAPID AND UNPREDICTABLE CHANGEABLENESS OF MOOD
  • Sometimes I’m so MERCURIAL
    I really can’t decide
    If I am Dr. Jekyll—or
    If I am Mr. Hyde!
  • Wrote a Daily Doggerel to post later on my other blog.
  • Finished the last 50 pages of Ian McEwan's 1990 novel, The Innocent. (Wow.)
  • Walked home with snow up to my ...
  • Fed my sourdough starter for tomorrow's bread-baking.
  • Mixed and baked a batch of apricot-walnut scones (I eat a homemade scone every morning for breakfast). Joyce had sliced the apricots for me while I was feeding the starter.
  • Caught up on some things in my study.
  • Wrote this post.
  • It's now 10:03 a.m.

I'm whupped. I will go upstairs, read through this post with Joyce (who will find several typos I missed). I will correct them (muttering obscenities while doing so).

Then--after this beginning to a Busy Day I will wander into our bedroom, close the door, collapse and nap till lunch.

In the Real World of Work this is really nothing, I know.

Still, I am whupped ... So wonderful, being seventy-five ...

No comments:

Post a Comment