Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, November 9, 2019

"With a Little Bit of Bloomin' Luck"



My Fair Lady (1956). Song: "With a Little Bit o' Luck." I was in 7th grade in 1956-57, and I'm pretty sure that this was my favorite song from the show. A bit irreverent. Naughty. (Just like the Me of Then!) (Link to song from 1964 movie.)

What does any of this have to do with anything? Well ...

On Thursday after lunch I had to eschew my usual journey--over to Open Door Coffee for more reading and writing and conversation with a good friend--because I had several other appointments of a more ... pressing nature.

  • a haircut
  • the Ohio BMV to get my driver's license renewed
  • Office Depot to get some writing tablets (which I mostly use for notes on the books I'm reading)
  • Office Depot to copy a draft of the next volume of doggerel I'm going to upload (soon?) to Kindle Direct
Okay. That sounds like an awful afternoon, right? With long waiting times guaranteed.

But Fortune (not the financial kind) must have been with me that afternoon because ...
  • When I got to the barber shop, one guy was in the chair. No one else was there waiting. (My barber takes no appointments--first come, first ... you know.)
  • When I got to the OBMV in Stow, I was imagining the worst. I walked in the door. No one else was there waiting. I was #1. By the time I left, though, there was the proverbial Line out the Door.
  • When I got to Office Depot, I grabbed a pack of tablets and headed over to the copy area. No one else was there waiting. All done in a matter of minutes.
So ... I'd left home for the barber shop about 12:15, and I was home--all things done--by 2. I was shocked: I'd especially been expecting hours of waiting at the OBMV (where I got that newer form of license that will enable me to, you know, get on an airplane--not that I'm likely to do that ever again).

Of course, no one really "deserves" the luck (good or bad) that he/she experiences.

The roll of those most fabled dice
Can turn out naughty, turn out nice.

It really has no thing to do
With me, of course--and not with you.

And we cannot blame any stars--
Or any phase of moon or Mars.

It's just the way the cards are dealt--
We get a stroke of love--or welt.

No comments:

Post a Comment