Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Preparations

our 2016 gathering
As I posted the other day, tomorrow will probably be the last time we will host a family Thanksgiving. (It's time for the Next Generation--actually, it's past time, but we enjoy doing it so much that we, well, insist in our passive-aggressive way.)

We have been slowly preparing the past couple of weeks. I made the cornbread (both for turkey stuffing and "normal" consumption); I baked a sourdough long loaf that, until today, was chilling in the freezer. Joyce and I have done some shopping together.

Joyce has prepared the sweet potatoes, the cranberries. She will start the turkey roasting tomorrow. I will peel the potatoes for their later smashing.

Steve and his family (Melissa, Logan, Carson, and Melissa's dad, Bill) will bring some goodies, as well--including pie(s?). Side dishes, fruit, etc. (Super Steve will mash the potatoes I will have prepared for same.) They'll be arriving about 4, so that will give the Old Man some time to, you know, take a, you know, nap before they arrive. You know?

Joyce will be setting the table later today. I will help (or watch, depending on my ability/agility to offer a plausible excuse).

Tomorrow morning, I will read my quota for the book I'm reviewing for Kirkus Reviews this week (I do one/week for them--ain't allowed to mention the title or subject). Open Door Coffee Co. is closed tomorrow, so I will stay home and sip something from the Keurig as I read and take notes--and munch on a homemade maple-pecan scone, which, unlike me, is fat-free.

And we'll wait for the exciting sound of our son's car pulling into the drive--we'll greet them all at the side door--we will revel in their energy (maybe absorb some of it?)--we'll offer yet another thanksgiving for the privilege of hosting yet another Thanksgiving.

Joyce and I spent our first Thanksgiving together on November 27, 1969. Fifty years ago today. I can't remember where we were--did we spend it with her folks and family in Akron? did we drive out to Des Moines to spend it with mine? (We got in the habit, in those early years, of alternating: Thanksgiving with one family, Christmas with another.)

All I know is that on November 27, 1969, I was incredibly excited. For in less than a month, you see, we would marry--on December 20. And I knew already that I was enjoying a gilded fortune that I knew I didn't deserve--and was therefore extraordinarily grateful. A very special Thanksgiving indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment