Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Kraft Dinner



Okay, one more ...

Yesterday, I posted about my long (and continuing) history with Campbell's tomato soup (and, yes, I did have some for supper last night + a grilled-cheese-and-turkey sandwich). Today ... Kraft Dinner, another staple of boyhood--and even later on.

Trusty Wikipedia says that it was born in 1937, but I don't remember it in our house until the 1950s--and 1954 was the year that Kraft introduced what was then the familiar blue box (a little more basic than the one you see in the pic above).

We had it all the time when I was a kid, and all three of us Dyer boys had no problem making it: boil the macaroni in water (salted, if you like); pour off the water; stir in the cheese powder, butter, milk; eat with a fury so that your siblings don't get more than you do.

Still hungry? Make another box.

Early in our marriage, Joyce and I often had it (cheap, filling), and I learned a very fundamental thing about her: She is a Pasta Freak. She loved spaghetti, macaroni ... Kraft Dinner. I found that on Kraft-Dinner Days there was a kind of sibling rivalry between us.

And that reminds me ... early in our marriage we made spaghetti one evening, then discovered that we had no sauce. I suggested we use some Heinz 57 (which we did have). She suggested that was a bad idea. I insisted (first mistake). Mixed some in (second mistake). Smiled (third mistake).

She, unsmiling, took the pot to the bathroom and commenced flushing it all down the toilet.

I forget what we had for supper that night, but I think I had crow--with humble pie for dessert.

Our little boy loved Kraft Dinner, as well (still does, I think). And I believe his sons are addicts, too?

Our niece and nephew chowed on it for years--and I think they still do (they turned 30 yesterday).

Although our Kraft Dinner Days are behind us, Joyce remains an avid pasta lover. We often go to Parasson's or Dontino's (nearby Italian places), and Joyce does a splendid job of cleaning her plate. Every time.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about Kraft Dinner right now--wondering if it would be fun to buy a box (or two ... or three ... or ...?) and see how it goes. Boil, drain, mix, munch. Could be fun--especially if Joyce has the larger portion.


No comments:

Post a Comment