Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Seidman, cont'd.

Seidman Cancer Center
Beachwood, Ohio
I'm back from a long morning up at Seidman Cancer Center in Beachwood--my third trip this week! Today, I met with the radiation oncology team who will be zapping me over the next few weeks--zapping the naughty vertebra (just one) where my cancer seems to be hanging out and issuing higher and higher PSA numbers with impunity. Time for some punishment--Star Wars-light-saber stuff.

Sort of.

I met first with a nurse, who interviewed me thoroughly, went over my medical history (which is far more involved that I ever dreamed it would be--far more involved that I certainly want it to be). Then the oncologist came in, went over my recent scans with me, and said that he doesn't think the rib (at this point) is worth going after--but the vertebra (#T-9)? Now that guy is hosting some uninvited guests, and it looks as if it must be prostate cancer cells that think they have found a hideout where they can reproduce and send their young ones off to invade other areas of my body. And, of course, kill me.

He then examined me (listening, prodding) and sent me off to get another CT scan, one that more precisely pinpoints the area they will start zapping soon. (Wednesday noon I will return to Seidman, where they will do a final chart on me and give me the Zap Schedule.)

I arrived up there about 9:30 this morning, walked out of the building a little before noon, weary, and was soon home having lunch with Joyce--and thereby feeling far more fortunate than I had, oh, an hour earlier.

I'm not really too concerned about the procedure itself. As I've written here before, in January 2009 I underwent thirty radiation sessions down at the Taussig Cancer Center (Cleveland Clinic), focusing on the  pelvis (where my naughty prostate had misbehaved), and this new process will consume only ten sessions. He did warn me that because, zapping from the front, they will necessarily penetrate my esophagus, I will probably experience some burning and "unpleasantness" there; it should be temporary, though. Some skin discomfort likely, as well.

So it goes. And, oh: This is not a cure, just another delaying tactic to deal with this most relentless foe.

I'm grateful for all the new technology, grateful for the immense competence of the people I've dealt with at UH, annoyed with my body for being, you know, a body!



No comments:

Post a Comment