Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Sometimes, things ain't 'posed to happen ...



... and so they don't.

Let's take last night, for example. I'd gotten a text from Eddy's Bike Shop over in Stow (a place we've patronized for decades): My bike had survived its annual (spring) inspection (we'd just recently dragged it up from the basement, where it hibernates each winter), so I should hop (!) over and pick it up (and leave some $$$ with Eddy's, of course).

Let's pause a moment to reflect on the general truth of the eloquent title of this piece. And as I do so, I think about how it was that ...

  • I didn't become the catcher for the Cleveland Indians.
  • I didn't become the point guard for the Boston Celtics. (Calm down: There were no Cavs when I was in high school.)
  • I didn't appear on Hootenanny* to play my 12-string guitar.
  • I didn't win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
  • I didn't ... let's stop: This could go on and on and on, and I'm getting depressed.
Okay, back to yesterday.

So, I resolved we would go over to Eddy's right after supper--and while we were there, we would hop (!) across the street to do our little monthly buying-stuff-cheaply at Marc's.

I checked my Weather Channel app and saw the rains were due to arrive at 6, so we hurried through supper (never a good idea) and were on Ohio 91 heading south to Stow about 5:30. Google Maps just told me that it's a journey of 5.3 miles, 12 minutes. We made it more quickly than that (no, we did not speed: The traffic lights were in our favor). No rain. It even looked a little lighter over Stow than it had over Hudson when we'd left.

Hope springs eternal.

Hope is the thing with feathers.

You know.

We pulled into the parking lot at Eddy's, came to a stop, opened the doors, and the second we did so, Hurricane Eddy arrived. I mean, the wind nearly knocked me back into the car. Clouds emptied themselves on us. The lights in Eddy's flashed off, then on, then off again.

We got back in the car. Looked to the west. Saw Armageddon approaching.

Decided we'd postpone our Eddy's-Marc's trip and settled for a Diet Coke at the drive-thru at the Stow Mickey D's, an experience that got my left arm very wet.

So, the moral of the story: Sometimes, things ain't .... [see title].


*a TV show, 63-64; link to Wikipedia entry about the show; link to YouTube clip from the show

No comments:

Post a Comment