Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Struck It Rich ... Well ...



Yesterday, I got a very official-looking letter from Mike DeWine, Attorney General here in the Buckeye State. One opens such letters with ... mixed feelings--with fear being the principal ingredient in the mix. Did they catch me? Are armed agents going to be at my door this afternoon?

Nah.

It was great news ... I'd won a lawsuit!

Well, I and tens of thousands of others had won it. It involved Classmates.com, a service I haven't used in quite a while. But it seems something ... unusual ... was going on with them; they got called on it; they apparently had to pay out--big time.

But not, I discovered, to me--not "big time," anyhow.

Enclosed with the letter from Mike DeWine was a check!

For $6.87.

I would have loved that amount back in, oh, 1952, when I was 8, when Cokes and candy bars were five cents each, when a Popsicle was 6 cents, when you could get into the Saturday-morning movies downtown in Enid, Oklahoma, for two RC bottle caps, when ... you get it.

But in 2018?

Well, I could buy a few Cokes at McD's with it. But that's about the only Partying On such a sum will subsidize.

Still ... I feel, you know, like a winner today. An unusual feeling, to tell you the truth.

I deposited the check via my iPhone, a device which cost many multiples of $6.87.

No comments:

Post a Comment