Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Monday, February 12, 2018

Taxing Time



In about half an hour I'll head out for my annual Grim Visit. No, it's not an annual physical. It's my annual visit with our accountant to get ready for Taxing Time.

I spent quite a few hours over the weekend getting ready. Joyce and I both use Quicken, so we could easily print out our summary reports (aren't we virtuous?), but what takes time is getting all the receipts arranged.

I have learned, over the years, to categorize them as the months roll along. I have a little portable file box that sits right by my feet beneath my desk, and whenever a tax-related receipt or document comes in, I file it there in the relevant category (Utilities, Subscriptions, Donations, etc.). That helps.



But still ... I know that each February will feature some dreary hours during which I must remove those receipts and documents, put them in envelopes or file folders, label them, etc.

I'm getting depressed just describing this.

But ... 'tis done for this year!

And, as I said, I will soon head out to see our accountant; I will spend an hour or so with him; I will return to do something here that I forgot to do and that he reminded me I must do.

And I will wonder why it is that it always seems to be taxing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment