Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Quick Exchange



Okay, this is going to be Quick and Light ...

After supper yesterday (Tuesday), Joyce and I drove over to the Kohl's store at the Stow-Kent Plaza. I had a purchase to return. (Google Maps says it's 7.1 mi. from our house.)

When my left arm was so badly disfigured (no other word) during the abortive attempt at an immunotherapy session on February 2, I wanted, somehow, to cover that grim sight when I went to the health club each afternoon (as is my dreary, dreaded task: I must do it; I hate it now).

No band-aid would suffice. The inside of my left arm--from wrist to biceps--was black. Not black-and-blue. BLACK. (It has begun to soften into some more rainbow-y colors now--a week after the ... problem.) The top of my hand was deeply bruised, too (they'd tried a couple of veins there, too).

So off we went to Kohl's to buy a couple of long-sleeve shirts I could wear while exercising.

I should add a note here: I have inherited the Dyer Gene for Perspiration (a gene now cherished by my son and his sons). I perspire heavily, and after my ordinary workout--which is hardly that strenuous*--I am generally soaking wet. I look, in other words, more impressive than I am. (Better than the other way around!)

So ... we found a couple of nice shirts--lightweight--some new fabric that never saw a sheep or a cotton ball, I would guess.

I took the Medium; Joyce suggested--in the kindest tones ever heard by Ear of Man--that I might want to think about a Large. I've learned to listen to her, even when I don't really want to. And so I grabbed the Large, headed for check-out, plopped down the plastic, you know ...

When I finally emerged from my Deep Funk (post-problem) and headed out to the club this week, I took the Large with me.

And was glad I did: It fit Wonderfully Well. But that meant, of course, that the Medium would manifestly not fit Wonderfully Well. I knew I would have to take it back. And last evening we did.

At the Customer Service window the kind clerk asked me the reason for the return.

"Wishful thinking," I said.



*25 minutes on a stationary bike, a mile of laps (walking) around the indoor track, 200 pulls on a rowing machine, 2 sets of curls with 20 lbs/hand

1 comment: