Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Monday, November 6, 2017

A Day to Remember ... Except I Didn't



Remember A Night to Remember? (Book and film about the Titanic and its encounter with an iceberg?) (The whole movie is on YouTube now ... link to it!)




Well, yesterday (Sunday), I had a Day to Remember--only it was more like a Day to Forget. I did a bit of it yesterday, forgetting.

Just some wee examples ...

  • We subscribe to several daily newspapers (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Akron Beacon-Journal, New York Times). On Sunday morning I always go out to collect them, then toss the Times in the car. We do our weekly grocery shopping on Sunday mornings--after sitting at nearby Panera to drink coffee, eat a bagel, chat, and read the Sunday NYT. "Put a pin in that," as comedian Sarah Silverman likes to say. (We'll revisit this in a moment--unless I forget.)
  • Sunday morning, as my Facebook friends know, is also bread-baking day around our house--and has been so for decades. I use some sourdough starter I bought in Skagway, Alaska, in August 1986 when my son (age 14 at the time) and I were there doing some family and Jack London and The Call of the Wild research.
    • I generally make a multi-grain bread, then post a pic on Facebook, usually with some pun ("Bready, set, go!"). (Annoying, I know.)
    • Yesterday, I was mixing in several cups of whole-wheat flour when I realized (too late! too late!) that I'd been using flour from the oat bin. (Oat has no gluten, the ingredient that makes bread dough cohere.) So ... I got a gnarly-looking dough that produced some gnarly offspring. Below, see the FB pic from a week ago, followed by the Facebook pic from yesterday. Notice any difference? (Gnarly vs not-gnarly!)
last week

yesterday
(As I look at these pictures, I see, first, my youthful self; second, my current self!)
  • Okay--back to the newspaper issue (in which you inserted a pin): When we got to the Acme parking lot (I'd already dropped Joyce at Panera, only yards away), I discovered I'd tossed into the car not the Times but the Plain Dealer. So ... go home and get it? Walk into Acme and buy another one? (I did the latter.)
  • In Panera, I explained my, uh, tardiness--then soon realized I'd left my phone back at home, plugged in and charging in the kitchen. By this time I was veering near lunacy, and Joyce (ever aware of my various mental ... states) volunteered to drive back to the house to get it (less than a mile). I assented, thinking that if I did it, I'd probably get home and wonder what I was doing there ...
So ... three major I-forgot episodes in the span of a few hours.  I was starting to lose it over my losing it.

I was very careful the rest of the day, and I can't remember if I forgot anything else (!).

And this morning! A new day! Joyce rose early and headed out to the health club (as is her wont); I fussed around in my study, then got ready to walk over to Open Door Coffee Co. (as is my wont).

Then realized I'd left my house key upstairs in the bedroom.

Uh oh ... here we go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment