Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Friday, September 29, 2017

Pink Shoelaces

Yesterday, I did a brief Facebook post about how I'd just changed the shoelaces in my sneakers--and about how, because I hadn't performed such an operation in a long, long, long time, that I had to, uh, think a bit about what I was doing. For me,  the "autopilot" part of that mundane activity had malfunctioned. Mental entropy!

And then--curse our human minds!--into my head popped an old song--well, part of it did. A little work was necessary to resurrect the rest of it.

Here's the part that came back He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces ....  Some of the rest trickled back during the night, but it was not until, oh, right now that I did a little Goggling and came up with the rest. (See below.)

Dodie Stevens was the singer (her birth name: Geraldine Ann Pasquale), born 1946. "Pink Shoe Laces" was released in February 1959--I was still just fourteen--in ninth grade. Taking Latin I and Algebra I and whatever. Playing JV basketball, varsity baseball, singing in the school musical production (The Mikado). Trying to avoid the Big Kids ... And, of course, there was the ... Love Stuff ...

Yes, that was the time when that annoying song came out, that song whose words (okay, some of them) invaded my brain yesterday and dug in for what appears to be a long, long stay. Oh, the song reached #3 on the charts for 1959--which says a few things about 1959, I guess.

Another fact that I somehow find a little ... disturbing? When she recorded that song, she was eleven years old. I'm not sure why I find that "disturbing," but I do. I'll have to think about that a bit more, I guess.

The song was written by Micki Grant, (1941-), an African American songwriter (3 Tony nominations) whose Wikipedia page, though brief, is impressive--though it neglects to mention Dodie Stevens and "Pink Shoelaces" (can't say that I blame her). So she wrote that song when she was a teen!


Dodie Stevens now has a website (link), advertising herself as "recording artist, songwriter, & vocal coach." And here's a YouTube video of her (some years later) singing the song. (Link.) And here's even a BETTER video of Stevens--from 1959.



And here are those awesome lyrics that ruined my rest last night:

Now I've got a guy and his name is Dooley
He's my guy and I love him truly
He's not good lookin', heaven knows
But I'm wild about his crazy clothes

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh

He takes me deep-sea fishing in a submarine
We got to drive-in movies in a limousine
He's got a whirly-birdy and a 12-foot yacht
Ah, but that's-a not all he's got

He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Now Dooley had a feelin' we were goin' to war
So he went out and enlisted in a fightin' corps
But he landed in the brig for raisin' such a storm
When they tried to put 'em in a uniform

He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh

Now one day Dooley started feelin' sick
And he decided that he better make his will out quick
He said
"Just before the angels come to carry me
I want it down in writin' how to bury me."

A'wearin tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Give me tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh


And a big Panama with a purple hat band!!

No comments:

Post a Comment