Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, September 23, 2017

A Whiney Who Bores People So



When I was a kid, we had a record called Manners Can Be Fun (wrong: not fun--but kids will go for about anything, right?). Here's a link to one available on eBay right now for $15. The info says it's from 1948. That's about right. I was four. And in need of some manners. (I have a CD of it somewhere, by the way.)

The record was based--now I remember!--on a book by Munro Leaf. It's possible I've written a bit about this before, but I'm too lazy to look. So here we go ... besides, the book/record? Not the issue here.


Anyway, one of the songs involved a line He's a whiney who bores people 

And today--I'm going to whine (though surely not bore!).

I've not posted here the past couple of days not out of lassitude or bitterness or illness or a lack of ideas to write about; no, I've failed to write because, instead, for two days I've been fussing with (and at!) my Quicken program.

Quicken. Home finances. I've been using the program faithfully since the early 1990s when it was in its MS-DOS incarnation. I've bought the updates, pretty much every year, have had very few complaints.



Until two days ago.

A couple of days ago, the program informed me it had an update for me (yay!) so, sure, I clicked on it. And it rolled merrily along--until it froze. Just freaking froze. I could do nothing on the computer. I waited ... waited ... waited ...

Nada.

So ... I rebooted, and when I did, Quicken was no longer there--not in the recent version I'd been using.

So I got on the website, downloaded (what I thought was) the latest version ... but it looked ... different. And, worse, I could no longer download transaction information from the bank.

Then ... two days of hassle commenced. Checking online forums, online chats, phone calls (when I saw there was a 58-minute wait time, I ponied up (my pony is named Plastic--nickname "Visa") for the "prime" or whatever they call it--a mere $50 a year--so that I would get prompt service whenever I call). I did.

And I found out I'd inadvertently downloaded an earlier version of the program--one that no longer worked with downloading from banks (I didn't ask Then why is the damn thing still on your site!?!?)

Many hours later ... it's all working again ... though it still doesn't look the way I like it: I'll have to do more fussing with the display.

Meanwhile, I've been whining to Joyce--whom I've been, well, boring so with all of this.

I should have listened to the record more closely, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment