Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Monday, June 24, 2019

The Bed Is Back!

the left side had collapsed
A couple of weeks ago I posted here the sad account of the collapse of our bed. (Link to earlier post.) As I wrote, that bed is not just any bed. It's part of a set that I remember from the earliest days of my life, a set that had belonged to my Osborn grandparents back in Enid, Oklahoma. When I was born in Enid (Nov. 1944), my mom and older brother were living upstairs at my grandparents' place--1609 E. Broadway Ave.--and Dad was off to World War II (he served in both the Pacific and European theaters).

Anyway, I believe our grandparents acquired that bedroom set from her parents (the Lantermans of Austintown, Ohio)--but I could be wrong. (Maybe one of my brothers will correct me?)

We received the set after the death of my grandmother in 1978 (my grandfather had died in 1965), and it's been our bedroom furniture ever since.

And then--a couple of weeks ago--lying there, reading, I heard an ominous "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" And the next thing I knew, my side of the bed was on the floor. (Joyce was in the other room, working (i.e., writing), when this happened.)

We were very concerned that it was irreparable. And when we talked about getting a replacement, I grew profoundly melancholic. Just the thought of not having that bed ...

Joyce called the local handyman service we've used for years, and they sent someone out to check it out--but not for a week.

In the interim, I slept on the part of the bed that still worked (we'd used a small step-stool to support the other half); Joyce, on the spare bed in the back. And that, my friends, was the worst part of the whole experience.

Anyway, Pat (the worker) came last Wednesday, took one look, said, "No problem," headed out to the hardware to get a few things he needed. Fixed it swiftly.

And by that night--that very night!--we were back not just in our beloved bed in the arms of Morpheus but also in the arms of each other.

Paradise.

**

PS--We are still both a bit ... tentative ... about getting in and out of bed, but, so far, it seems sturdy. The word gratitude needs more letters in it so that it can more adequately express the dimensions of my emotions!

Fixed!
The teddy bear was a Christmas gift some
years ago from our older grandson, Logan.
It's been on our bed every day, ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment