Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Dream, Dream, Dream

 

Don and Phil Everly—
The Everly Brothers

It was almost exactly 63 years ago (I was in 8th grade) when the Everly Brothers released "All I Have to Do Is Dream"--a song that featured some lines that could tell you more than any other thing that the song was not of recent generations: 

I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz,
I'm dreamin' my life away.

Gee whiz? I haven't heard that lately! (Link to song.)

I'm thinking about this song today because I had a weird one last night--a dream, that is. It was one of my I-am-a-teacher dreams--but not much like any of the other hundreds (thousands?) I've had before.

In this one, I woke up late, hopped in the car, and hurried to school. It was not a building I recognized, but I saw some old Harmon School colleagues. I ran inside, and it was not till then that I realized I had not dressed in my "teacher clothes"; instead, I was still in my shorty summer pj's. Light blue and very attractive on me, I must say.

As I hurried down the hall, no one noticed me (whew), but then I saw it was an hour earlier than I'd thought. (But what were all those kids and teachers doing there?)

So I sprinted back out to the car, headed home, dressed, and ... woke up. Relieved ... very relieved.

Now, I will not psychoanalyze myself--nor permit anyone else to do so. It was just a dream, right? Didn't mean anything.

I'm just glad that it wasn't real--that no one noticed me (however that happened). But, lying in bed late last night, I felt that song from Hiram School days surge back into my head--especially that line from the Chorus: "I'm dreamin' my life away."

So it seems.


*Don (1937-)  and Phil (1939-2014) Everly.

No comments:

Post a Comment