Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Toothsome

not mine--in case you're wondering
Oddly, that word toothsome means "agreeable or pleasant"--or "sexually attractive." It goes back to the sixteenth century, when dental care was not exactly what it is today, so (I'm guessing now) that people who had lots of teeth left were sexually attractive. (In the Middle Ages, by the way, they sometimes used crow's dung to fill cavities.)

But I use the word toothsome in a more literal sense today: I have a 9:30 dental appointment, my first since the arrival of you-know-what.

I'm expecting things to be very safe there. I've gotten several texts from them: I will wait in the car until I'm called in; I must be wearing a mask when I enter. (I'm guessing that I will not wear it during my exam!?!) I'm guessing that the personnel will be wearing PPE of the highest quality. They may adorn me with some things, too.

As you may know, Joyce and I do not go out much--just to the grocery store once a week to pick up our online order (someone brings it out to the car, puts it in the trunk); I walk to Open Door Coffee twice a day (morning and afternoon) to pick up a carryout coffee (and, yes, I am a Masked Man--unlike many people I see along the way). Joyce has been to CVS, I to Marc's--both of us setting new Olympic records for shopping swiftness. (Our medals are in the mail, I presume.)

Oh, we also go to Szalay's Farm & Market on Fridays after supper for yet another swift trip for a few things we love. (So far, it hasn't been difficult there to avoid the Maskless Ones.)

That's about it.

Except for medical things. I've thrice been to Seidman Cancer Center (twice to University Circle, once to Beachwood/Chagrin). Lots of safety protocols there. And Joyce has been to a medical facility, as well.

So that's about it.

Until today.

I will pause here and will finish the post when I get home--letting you know what went on

PAUSE.

All went fine--all as I'd predicted: few in waiting room (socially distanced), all masked; PPE on all the employees.

Went through the cleaning, etc. No problems. (Though that whirring cleaner does tickle certain parts of my gums--hard to resist a chortle.)

Good news: They don't need to see me again till January.

And so--between now and then--I will, indeed, remain a toothsome dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment