Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Sunday Sundries, 253


1. AOTW: Let's be generous this week--a week that featured Thanksgiving--and say that in my Small World this week there was no AOTW (all were busy consuming turkey and annoying their relatives and watching football).

2. I finished just one book this week, Knife (2019) by Norwegian novelist (but international bestseller) Jo Nesbø, his latest thriller featuring his troubled cop/detective, Harry Hole. In this one--which may be the darkest of the series (and that is saying something!)--a dear one of Harry's is murdered, and it looks as if Harry, who's fallen hard off the wagon, is the killer.  Oops.


And then Harry has a fatal car accident (or does he?), and the Nesbø-Land you thought you knew is suddenly ... different. More and more complications occur before all is resolved.

I don't want to tell any more of the plot--I never did like someone who does that--so I'll just drop it here--and will add only that I've loved these books, from the very first, and although this one, as I said, is midnight-black, I enjoyed every heart-churning second of it.

3. When I went into a store today, I heard coming over the sound system a song with the lyrics "I'll be the one riding shotgun" (or words close to that effect), and I thought about how when I was a kid, everyone would have known what that meant. Countless cowboy TV shows, countless cowboy movies = lots of opportunities to learn about the guy with a shotgun sitting alongside the stagecoach driver.


I see--as a-Googling I was going--that there was even a 1954 Western movie with Randolph Scott called Riding Shotgun!

4. My friend Chris alerted us to another show we might like to stream, via Britbox: Upstart Crow, which is a comedy about the young William Shakespeare, trying to make it in London. Some of the jokes are corny--there is canned laughter--but ... I can't help enjoying it. Lots of inside jokes about his plays (and about him), and the writers also had some fun with some anachronisms.



Link to some footage.

5. We streamed this week a new Netflix stand-up special by a comedian we've long liked, Mike Birbiglia (we saw him in downtown Cleveland performing at the State Theater a couple of years ago, too). This one was a recording of his show on Broadway--and it has some controversial moments about children and parents. But MB is quite a storyteller, and the stories win.


Link to some footage.

6. Final Word: a word I liked this week from one of my online word-of-the-day providers ...

     - from dictionary.com

postprandial[ pohst-pran-dee-uhl]
adjective: after a meal, especially after dinner:
postprandial oratory; a postprandial brandy.
ORIGIN OF POSTPRANDIAL: 1810–20; post- + Latin prandi(um) meal + -al
OTHER WORDS FROM POSTPRANDIAL: post·pran·di·al·ly, adverb



No comments:

Post a Comment