Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Our Little Street ...



... is busy these days. Right across from us, our neighbors are having their house painted--noise of sanders and other electric tools. A little farther down, a tree company is doing some work for a couple of other neighbors: chainsaws, chippers. It's also trash/recycle pickup day, so heavy trucks are groaning down the street, pausing only for a robotic arm to reach out for the barrels, to grab them, to elevate them, to deposit the contents in the truck. Then the arm returns the barrel to the tree lawn (or devil strip--depending on where y'all hail from). Sometimes the lid remains flopped open--other times, not. You have to check.

Lawn services are routinely mowing and blowing. A block away, in downtown Hudson, the city blowers are out about 5 a.m. on Thursdays. Charming alarm clocks.

Of course, all this activity has consequent noise, noise which has implications for naps--not that I take many, mind you--usually no more than one a day (not counting the Big One at night). Yesterday, I had to surrender my usual late-morning nap because Joyce was having an issue with her Quicken program--an issue that took us more than an hour to resolve. (An online chat got us nowhere, so I simply uninstalled/reinstalled the program, and it worked fine; it took about five minutes. Well, I can't really say the chat got us nowhere; it took me directly to the Land of Madness and Melancholy, where I resided for, oh, a half hour or so!)

And so, earlier this morning, I smiled when Facebook showed me a post from two years ago on this date. (See pic at the top of this post.) I was backing out of the drive, on the way to the dentist (no comment), when I saw this mother turkey and her poults (or chicks) blithely crossing Church Street (our street) on the way to ... who knows? A session on the meaning of Thanksgiving? I'd never seen wild turkeys here before--have not seen them since.

A few days later, I saw something else I'd never seen before (and have never seen since): a fox. I'm pretty sure what he was after ... an early Thanksgiving, for sure.*

*No evidence, though, that he found one.

No comments:

Post a Comment