Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Back to Seidman Cancer Center, cont'd.

Seidman Cancer Center
Beachwood, OH
6:40 a.m.

Later this morning, Joyce and I will--once again--drive up to Seidman Cancer Center in Beachwood for my quarterly visit with my oncologist. My lab work this time has showed some more post-radiation improvement. As some of you know, a few months ago I underwent ten radiation sessions: They were zapping a site on my spine, a site that appeared to have become a home for a cluster (a big one) of prostate cancer cells that had metastasized--had moved from my prostate area into my bones.

When I began the treatments, my PSA (prostate specific antigen) had reached 20.13--alarming because I should have no PSA at all: A cancer surgeon removed the gland in June 2005. But, as I've written here before, prostate cancer cells also produce PSA. As the chart shows. Post-radiation measures have shown a substantial drop.

6 August 2018
20.13
12 September 2018
11.98
16 October 2018
3.36
9 November 2018
1.93

I was actually surprised when I saw the score: I know, you see, that radiation effects in my case are temporary (I'd undergone 30 treatments in January 2009; my PSA dropped, then began rising again.) So I was fully expecting a rise--or a "leveling off" for a while. 

So ... I'm pleased (naturally) but also aware that the good number is just that--a good number. Bad numbers will eventually follow, and other medications and/or procedures are waiting down the tracks for me.

My PSA tests are monthly now, so ... month-to-month living. And I will enjoy most of the upcoming month--until I start worrying about an imminent blood test.

I know my oncologist will be happy about the number, too--but cautious, as well. I'm not sure if he'll order more scans or whatnot. I'll let you know when I return from my session with him.

Oh, another delight today? I get my quarterly butt-shot of Trelstar, a drug that inhibits the growth of testosterone, a substance that prostate cancer cells adore. It's not a cure; it's a drug of delay. (Link to info on Trelstar.) And it has some noxious side-effects, which I've mentioned here before (moodiness, depression, sweats, diminishing energy, death of the libido, weight gain--all just glorious things for a man--or anyone else--to experience!)

More later ...


11:20 a.m.

Back from about as quick (and even perfunctory) a visit as I've ever had at Seidman. As I had anticipated, my oncologist was pleased with my test results and said it would probably be about six months before the PSA will start to climb the ladder again. No blood tests for more than two months, and I will not see him again until January 30 ... unless, of course ...

Let's not think like that!

Saw a nurse I know well: I'd taught her daughter (now an academic) in 8th grade years ago in Aurora, and in the waiting room, as we were passing through on the way home, we saw another student from the mid-1970s, a student who went on to become a colleague and has had a great career. He was with some family members; I didn't ask who was there for help ... doesn't matter, does it? As Dickens said, we're all on the same train, just in different cars.

Dare I say, "Small world"?

The shot was quick and fairly painless. Would you like to know which cheek?

I thought not ...

But now that image is in your head. Sleep tight.

So ... I'm going to enjoy a little plateau here, a place to pause and be grateful, a place to enjoy the scenery for a bit before the train begins, once again, to lurch forward, and I'm off to explore again the undiscovered country.





No comments:

Post a Comment