Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Every Now & Then, Some Decent News



Regular visitors to this site know that, now and then, I post news about my fourteen-year "encounter" with prostate cancer, a cancer that has now metastasized into my bones. Here's a bit more ...

A quick recap:

  • December 2004: detection of an issue in my prostate; biopsy; positive result
  • June 2005: prostatectomy (removal of the gland) at Cleveland Clinic
  • January 2009: the cancer having returned, I underwent 30 daily radiation treatments down at the Clinic; after a brief respite, the cancer returned
  • In the ensuing years I switched to University Hospitals (much closer--a branch of their Seidman Cancer Center is only about 25 minutes away)
  • About four years ago--quarterly Lupron treatments commenced (injections of a drug that suppresses testosterone, the "food" of prostate cancer)
  • January 2018: six sessions of immunotherapy: some T-cells removed, sent to Atlanta for anti-cancer boosting, reinfused into me.
  • September 2018: because my cancer had once again become active (in my spine, of all the damn places), I underwent 10 more radiation treatments at UH.
Which seem to be working, for the nonce. Below is part of the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) chart I have been keeping. As you can see, I'm being tested every month now. I should, of course, have no PSA (my prostate is gone), and a measurable PSA indicates, instead, the presence of prostate cancer.

Anyway, the elevated August number was the one that prompted my oncologist to start me on a course of radiation treatments of three vertebrae in my spine. As you can see, the September number was showing an initial (positive) effect, and my most recent PSA test (last week) showed a substantial drop.

Joyce and I were relieved to see that number: small is good! But I'm also a realist: I know that the effects of the radiation are temporary. I am--to be blunt--incurable. The cancer will regroup, will find another place to set up headquarters, and we will soon be back at it once again.

But I will enjoy this coming month--until the date nears for the next test, early in November, and I will once again begin to wonder: Will this be the time the number will start to rise? Or will I have another month to pretend all is well?



6 August 2018
20.13
12 September 2018
11.98
16 October 2018
3.36

4 comments:

  1. I like decreasing levels. Hold it at bay as long as you can and still have a good quality of life, right?! I'm all for keeping you around as long as possible.

    My friend's husband is facing the decision of surgery or radiation to treat his prostate cancer which they've been "actively surveilling" for a year or so. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, everyone--every case--is different, but I wanted that gland OUT of me. But in some cases, the cancer is very localized, and radiation works (it did for both of my brothers).

      Delete
  2. My ex-husband went through Metro had it cut out two and a half years at this point cancer free I now have concerns for him. I wish you the best...praying for you

    ReplyDelete