Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Monday, September 17, 2018

A Doggerel of a Surprise



Some of you know that I have another blog spot here on Blogspot: Daily Doggerel (link), where, daily (duh), I post silly verse about this and that--words, animals, words and animals, animals and words.

Anyway, I was surprised this morning to see that tomorrow's post on Daily Doggerel will be Number 1400.

How did that happen? Do I really have so much drivel in me that it just keeps ... leaking out? (Is there no variety of Depends for that?)

I do feel myself sort of winding down, though--like an antique cuckoo clock that is tired of cuckooing. Part of it is age; part is ill health; part is, I suppose, the shock of realizing that I've posted 1400 of these things! Have I no self-respect!?!?!

So ... when I finish the current series--all based on heteronyms (words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently--e.g., wind (it blows) and wind (a cuckoo clock)), I think I'll take a break. Go on hiatus, as they say.

Maybe I'll recover the urge to do some more; maybe I won't. I can't really say--and I don't even know how I feel about it. Relief? Resignation? Shame? Whatever?

Anyway, I will finish the last of the heteronyms this week--will collect them in a little volume to post on Amazon's Kindle Direct (as I have done with their predecessors)--will settle back and see what the wind blows my way--maybe wind the cuckoo clock ...?

No comments:

Post a Comment