Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Feeling a Draft? (Or a Draught?)



This came up last night during our car trip for an emergency service (hot coffee): What is up with the words draft and draught? I feigned knowledge I did not have--a skill I developed in elementary school, perfected in junior high and high school, and abandoned later when I realized that technique didn't fool too many (i.e., any) of my professors in college and grad school. And it definitely didn't fool the middle school students whom I began teaching in the fall of 1966. Kids can tell when a teacher is faking!

Anyway, here's what I know (I think) before I look it all up and share it with you:

  • a breeze coming through the house is a draft
  • a beer on tap is draft
  • there is a military draft and you can be drafted
  • an ox is a draught animal
  • you can take a deep draught of a liquid
Okay, let's go to the mighty Oxford English Dictionary and find out what's what ...

PAUSE WHILE I CHECK THE OED ...

And the first thing I see: draft is a "modern phonetic spelling" of draught.

I knew that (not).

And I see a few meanings I missed/forgot: 
  • an order for the paying of money (a bank draft)
  • a preliminary form of an art work or some writing (a rough draft) ... how in the hell did I forget to list that one?
  • it's also a technical term in masonry: "Chisel-dressing at the margin of the surface of a stone to serve as a guide for the leveling of the surface." Okay, I understand that (not).
Okay, let's check out draught now ..
  • the action or act of drawing or pulling (a beast of draught)
  • a quantity drawn (a specific measure of something drawn or extracted)
  • the act of drawing a net for fish
  • the quantity of fish taken in one drawing
  • a measure of weight of eels
  • the drawing of a bow; a bowshot
  • the drawing of a saw through a block of wood
  • the drawing of a liquid into the mouth--or down the throat
  • a fanciful name for a company of butlers (!!!)
  • a dose of liquid medicine; a potion
  • the drawing of smoke or vapor into the mouth
  • the drinking in of something by the mind or soul
  • a move a chess or any other similar (!) game
  • a current, stream, flow
  • a current of air
  • an appliance for creating a draught in a fireplace
  • drawing of figures
I quit! These go on and on and on and on (I've even left out some earlier--lazy). Okay, here's another one that I think is my favorite:
  • the entrails of an animal drawn out
Anyway, there are 46 definitions of draught just as a noun! And dozens of compounds (many are adjectival)--e.g., draught-screen: a screen to block draughts.

Draught is also a verb--but the meanings (as I look over them) are related to the nouns.

By the way, you can read in the OED and on other sites about where the word came from--why it's pronounced the way it is--etc.

Okay, not to be lazy: Here's what Merriam-Webster says of the origin:


Middle English draht, draght, draught; akin to Old High German traht, trahta act of carrying, Old Norse drāttr act of pulling; derivatives from the root of Old English dragan to draw
First Known Use: 13th century


But here's what I learned: I don't know nuttin'! I remain, it seems, what I was in seventh grade: a fraud!





No comments:

Post a Comment