Dawn Reader

Dawn Reader
from Open Door Coffee Co.; Hudson, OH; Oct. 26, 2016

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spoon River Middle School: 14

Omney Voar


Free Writing

I like to eat most any time,
At morning, noon, or night,
And if you try to steal my food,
You’ll wind up in a fight.

There isn’t much that I don’t like,
Not much that I won’t eat.
Dessert’s the very best, of course,
But also good is meat.

Pie I like and pizza too
But not with anchovies,
And I can eat a Brussel sprout
But mushrooms make me sneeze.

The green and yellow foods are not
The kind I like the best
But I will eat them off my plate
Along with all the rest.

At school I like to hide some food
Inside my swollen pack
So when the teacher turns away,
Then I can have a snack.

Yes, other kids know I have food
And sometimes beg for some,
But there’s no way that I will share,
Cuz sharing’s really dumb.

See, no one ever shares with me
No person in my class—
So all I’d ever give to them
Is bark or twigs or grass.[1]

So kids all stay away from me,
Away from what I eat,
And I can nibble privately
Alone here in my seat.





[1] Dear Mr. Stratford.  I do not mean the kind of grass you smoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment